The Bessie Smith Scholarship Program
The Bessie Smith Estate is a non-profit organization that offers scholarships to African American students attending an accredited college or university.
The scholarship program was created in honor of the famous blues singer, who had a passion for education and wanted to make higher education accessible for everyone.
Two music lovers founded the Bessie Smith Scholarship Program to provide financial assistance for those pursuing a degree in music or involved in music-related careers. The scholarships will be awarded on merit and need annually.
What's Bessie Smith Estate Scholarship Program All About?
Bessie Smith Estate Scholarship Program awards $1000 scholarships to African American students attending an accredited college or university.
The scholarship is funded through donations from the Bessie Smith Foundation and others passionate about education in America.
This scholarship program aims to help alleviate financial barriers for black students with exceptional academic potential, ensuring that they can pursue higher education.
The Bessie Smith Foundation Scholarship Program will be awarded annually on September 18th - the birthday of the great Bessie Smith, one of America's most influential singers and songwriters.
The first Bessie Smith Foundation Scholarship will be awarded to a deserving third-year student at Berkley College of Music, where she studied and wrote her most famous songs.
Bessie Smith Estate Scholarship Program Overall Goals
Bessie Smith Scholarship Program was founded to meet specific educational goals. The main ones include:
- To provide scholarships in the name of Bessie Smith, who believed that higher education should be accessible for everyone.
- Recognize the work that Bessie Smith put forth in her life to make a positive change through music.
- Bring more attention to an influential female singer who paved the way for many other artists today.
The central purpose of these scholarships is to provide financial assistance for those pursuing a degree in music or who are involved in music-related careers.
Open to any student with the following qualifications
Bessie Smith Estate Scholarship Program is open to any student with the following qualifications:
- A strong academic record and passion for learning, especially students from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated high ambition; committed to building their skills and making a positive impact through their work.
- Students must be attending an accredited undergraduate institution to be eligible for the scholarship program.
The total award amount is $500 per semester and will not exceed four semesters of eligibility. This would cover tuition expenses, books, living costs, or transportation fees associated with school attendance; it does not include any other expenses.