Why You Should Consider the Time Value of Money Before Investing in Real Estate
When you’re looking to invest your money, it’s important to think about the time value of money. In other words, what can you do with your money now that will yield a higher return than waiting? Of course, for most people, real estate is the obvious decision.
But before you make any decisions, it’s important to weigh all your options and consider the time value of money. So, what exactly is the time value of money? And more importantly, how does it affect your real estate investment decision?
Keep reading to find out!
Overview of The Time Value of Money
The time value of money is the concept that money today is worth more than the same amount in the future. This is because money today can be used to buy assets, earn interest, generate returns, or otherwise create value. In contrast, money in the future cannot because it has not been acquired yet.
This concept is often used in conjunction with the risk-free rate, which is the interest rate that can be earned on an investment with no risk. The risk-free rate is used to discount future cash flows to arrive at their present value.
How Does This Affect Real Estate Investment?
The time value of money is just one factor to consider when making any investment decision, but it’s an important one. For example, when looking at real estate investments, you need to think about how long it will take for the property to appreciate in value and the relative value of the property at the futuristic date with respect to today’s dollars.
Moreover, you also need to think about the carrying costs associated with the property, such as mortgage payments, insurance, and property taxes. Keep in mind that these costs can eat deep into your profits if you’re not careful and, in some cases, leave you with a negative investment in the property.
Furthermore, you need to consider the opportunity cost of your investment. This would be the potential return you could have earned if you invested your money in something else like stocks or even a start-up company.
When you take all of these factors into account, you can better assess whether or not a real estate investment is the right choice for you. Spoiler alert, it is! Provided you have the right tools for real estate wealth management.
Importance of Time Value of Money With Respect to Real Estate Investments
There are a few key reasons why the time value of money matters when it comes to real estate investing.
- Inflation: The time value of money takes into account the fact that money today is worth more than money in the future due to inflation. Over time, the purchasing power of your money decreases, meaning you’ll need more money to buy the same property in the future, assuming all things are equal and the property value stays the same.
- Discounted cash flows: When looking at an investment property, the time value of money allows you to discount the future cash flows from the property to arrive at a present value. This is important because it allows you to compare different investment options and decide which one is right for you.
- Opportunity cost: As we mentioned before, opportunity cost is the potential return you could have earned if you had invested your money in something else. This is an important consideration because it allows you to weigh the expected return from your real estate investment against the returns you could earn from other investments.
- Taxes: The time value of money also takes into account the fact that you’ll have to pay taxes on your investment property. So when you’re assessing an investment, be sure to factor in the taxes you’ll owe on the property and the carrying costs we mentioned earlier.
This will give you a proper assessment of the net value of your investment in today’s dollars after deducting all expenses and taxes. Using this assessment, you can ascertain if investing your money in real estate or other ventures would be advantageous.
- Leverage: Another important factor to consider is leverage. Leverage is when you use other people’s money to finance your investment. This can be in the form of a mortgage or a loan from family and friends. The advantage of leverage is that it allows you to control a larger investment property with less of your own money. However, it’s important to remember that leverage also comes with risk. So if the value of your investment property goes down, you’ll still be responsible for repaying the mortgage or loan.
Preserving The Time Value of Your Money Using Real Estate Investments
There are a few ways to preserve the time value of your money when investing in real estate. One way is to invest in properties expected to appreciate in value over time. Another way is to invest in properties with low carrying costs. And finally, you can invest in properties that offer tax advantages.
- Appreciation: When you invest in a property that is expected to appreciate in value, you’re essentially investing in the future value of your money. This type of investment can take various forms, including short-term investments like rehab properties and long-term investments like rentals and family residences.
Regardless of the type of property, this form of investment can protect against inflation and help you grow your wealth over time.
- Low carrying costs: Investing in a property with low carrying costs can also help you preserve the time value of your money. Carrying costs are the costs associated with owning and maintaining an investment property. These costs can include mortgage payments, insurance, property taxes, and repairs and maintenance. By investing in a property with low carrying costs, you can maximize your future net returns and free up extra cash flow to invest in other properties or save for the future.
- Tax advantages: Investing in a property that offers tax advantages can also help you preserve the time value of your money. Several tax advantages come with owning an investment property. These can include things like depreciation and capital gains tax breaks.
Moreover, when you invest in a property that offers tax breaks, you’re essentially getting more bang for your buck. This is because you’ll be able to keep more of your earnings from the investment and reinvest it into the property or other ventures.
Regardless, the time value of money is an important consideration for any investor, but it’s especially important for those looking to invest in real estate. By taking into account the factors we’ve discussed, you can make sure that you’re making the best possible decision for your investment portfolio.
The Best Way to Leverage The Time Value of Money to Your Advantage
In today’s market, it’s not just enough to invest in real estate. But it’s rather important to invest in profitable real estate with respect to the time value of your money. To do that, you would need to work with a reputable and experienced real estate wealth management firm like GUIÓN PARTNERS that can guide you through the stormy waters of the real estate market.
GUIÓN PARTNERS is one of the country’s leading real estate management firms. We leverage our years of expertise and multitude of resources to bring you the best and most profitable real estate properties. And with us as part of your team, you can rest assured that your dollar tomorrow will be worth more than its value today.